The majority of patients consult a chiropractor because they have an ache or pain. In this first phase of care, the main objective is to eliminate or reduce discomfort.
Once a patient is no longer experiencing significant pain, the stabilization phase begins. In this phase, the muscles supporting the spine are strengthened, and through chiropractic adjustments the spine is “retrained” to restore proper movement and alignment.
Wellness care is a choice to live optimally, a choice to live with improved health and nervous system function. Because the nervous system, which exits the spine, controls the entire body’s function, it is essential that these nerves function without interference. Maintaining proper spinal motion allows your nervous system to function at its peak.
In the United States, spinal disabilities are the number one cause of disability for people over 50. Do you plan to use your spine after 50? Keep your spine healthy and invest in your future with chiropractic care.
Chiropractors diagnose and treat a variety of spinal disorders:
Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) is usually associated with aging. As you become older, spinal discs— the pillow-like cushions between your vertebrae—can degenerate or break down due to years of strain, overuse, or misuse. The discs may lose flexibility, elasticity, and shock absorption. They also become thinner as they dehydrate.
Herniated Disc usually occurs in the neck or low back. A herniated disc can cause pain when it presses on a nearby nerve root.
Sciatica may occur when the sciatic nerve or a branch of the sciatic nerve is compressed or becomes irritated. The hallmark of sciatica is moderate to severe pain that travels below the knee of one leg. Some people with sciatica describe the pain as sharp, shooting, or similar to an electric-shock.
Spinal Osteoarthritis may affect many of the spine’s joints. This type of arthritis is often associated with aging. Don’t get old.
Whiplash is a hyperflexion/hyperextension injury commonly occurring when a motor vehicle is rear-ended. The neck and head are “whipped” suddenly and quickly forward (hyperflexion) and backward (hyperextension), which may lead to severe neck sprain and/or strain.
For any of these conditions, and many more, come in to Everest Chiropractic and let us help you “Reach Your Peak.”
Many people aren’t aware that headaches are one of the most common conditions chiropractors treat.
Chiropractic provides headache relief by removing restrictions in the joints of the neck that are causing nerve irritation. Irritated nerves that exit the neck and go into the head are a frequent cause of headaches. Seeing a chiropractor is a drug free and natural way to ensure the neck is moving properly, thereby eliminating the nerve irritation that causes headaches.
If you or someone you know is suffering from headaches, schedule an appointment today with Dr. Gabe at Everest Chiropractic and “Reach Your Peak.”
Back pain is pervasive among American adults and a new and disturbing trend is emerging. Young children are suffering from back pain much earlier than previous generations, and the use of overweight backpacks is a contributing factor. 60 percent of children carrying heavy backpacks to school report back pain.
What Can You Do:
- Make sure your backpack weighs no more than 5 to 10 percent of your weight. A heavier backpack will cause you to bend forward in an attempt to support the weight.
- The backpack should never hang more than four inches below the waistline. A backpack that hangs too low increases the weight on the shoulders, causing you to lean forward when walking.
- Wear both shoulder straps. Lugging the backpack around by one strap can cause the disproportionate shift of weight to one side, leading to neck and muscle spasms, as well as low-back pain.
- Wide, padded straps are very important. Non-padded straps are uncomfortable, and can dig into your shoulders.
- The shoulder straps should be adjustable so the backpack can be fitted to your body. Straps that are too loose can cause the backpack to dangle uncomfortably and cause spinal misalignment and pain.
- The use of rollerpacks – or backpacks on wheels – have become popular in recent years and for good reason. Rollerpacks are a safe, effective alternative to carrying a backpack and placing unnecessary stress on your spine.
Chiropractic Care Can Help…
If you experience any pain or discomfort resulting from backpack use, call Dr. Gabe Nadel at Everest Chiropractic! He will work to restore your back to a healthy state and prevent further complications.